Wednesday, August 26, 2009

M A G I C
Usually during some part of a painting, I completely get lost in it.  It is a visual story.  It's as if there is no memory of the process.  When it happens, it's magical. Everything is more direct, as if you are painting from the heart directly to the canvas and you skip the brain completely--no interference!  I often listen to music while I'm painting and I've thought about musicians experiencing this same freedom and directness.  If they are in that space, the wall between them and us dissolves... they bare their soul and  we can feel it.  It's magic.  

A few years ago I woke up knowing I had to paint a portrait of my daughter.  It had to be big.  It had to be now.  It had to reveal her strength and determination and all that is Ilka--her story.  I drove to the lumber yard, bought a 4'x4' piece of masonite and painted straight ahead until I stepped back and said, "That's Ilka".  I honestly don't remember how long it took or do I remember actually thinking about any single brush stroke.

This summer and last I've driven, walked, run, and biked past the Wealden Farm stand which is literally yards from our road.  It has personality.  There it stands on its own with its beautiful and healthy offerings and tiny lights and you just feel happy going by.  Then, if you stop and pick up a cucumber that has been planted in carefully tilled soil, watered, nurtured, picked, placed in the crate for you to enjoy, you do feel happy.  You admire it all.  

This was one of those times.  I had to paint it.  I hope you enjoy!  
It was easy to get lost in it as it's a whole great story.

 

No comments: